Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bully Pulpit

I am sorry, I usually post LOs and freebies on my blog but I am very frustrated and very disturbed and I guess I am using my blog to vent my irritation. Penn, Harris, Madison -- the school system that my kids attend, the one that is supposed to be the best in the state, is ridiculous! We paid a premium to buy property in that school district and we pay a premium in property taxes to be in this district!

From the first day we enrolled in this district, the first principal I met treated me and my kids like we were urchins. Her cold and callous demeaner is something I have tried to live with, but after more than three years and no winter thaw, I guess I am getting associative 'cabin fever'. I mean, do any one of you want to deal with an ice queen on a daily or weekly manner? You might be able to take it for a few months or a year and after a while you would expect the coolness to end. But it never does.

My daughter wanted to take accelerated math, and the counselor actually wanted her to take easier math saying "why work so hard?" Susie is smart enough to know that it is not only good grades that matter but the types of classes you take. Susie always scores above the 94th percentile on the math section of the standardized tests. But they didn't care about that, I had to sign my life away to get her into the advanced class and she got a B the first semester and As since then, I think she can handle it. I have never heard of a school, let alone one that is supposed to be the best in the state, encouraging their students to take easy classes? I was livid!

My daughter Rebecca was bullied last year to the point of depression and I complained at least four times about this and the school system actually told her to seek out her bully and 'talk it out'. She did this only to be bullied MORE. So she tried more to talk it out and got nowhere. All the while, the school did nothing. The law in our state requires all reports of bullying to be taken seriously, this school system actually encouraged my daughter to place herself in harms way rather than doing their job.

Now recently, my kids and I planned to attend a religious event in Chicago. I sent in a note to the school and said in it that if there would be a problem to let me know by the day before the event otherwise we would assume there was no problem. Of course, this principal, the one that had been so cold to us, waited to say anything until we were on the road to the event. A secretary called my cell and told me this 'may' not be excused. I was so upset, chewed the ear off of this poor secterary. Because I was so upset and frankly threatened to call the school district, they backed off!

I have had to deal with teachers that told me bold faced lies where school paperwork clearly showed they were lying and abusive teachers that are frankly cruel to their students (these are the teachers that get ahead in the system). I am exasperated! I finally did complain to the district and I will see what they do about this treatment. We used to homeschool and this type of capricious, cold and callous behavior is completely foreign to me. Is this common in school systems, am I too sensative? My friend who is a teacher in another state is outraged at the way we have been treated, so I do think it is unusual.

Well thank you all for letting me vent and I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks for reading

Carol

4 Comments:

Blogger Marked Hoosier said...

Hiya Carol,

This is Mark from Marked Hoosier.

I feel your pain. I don't understand the power trip some principals/superintendents get... but it seems they feel the need to "be tough." I say go to the school board, go over all their heads!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Kylie said...

I feel so bad for you and your children. I am an early childhood teacher in New Zealand, and this is not the first that I've heard of U.S. schooling system to be bad. Come live here!

It astounds me that there are still teachers in the world who are only there for the money, and couldn't give two sh**s about their students. They just don't seem to understand that what they do affects how their students lives will turn out. I hate teachers like the ones you're children have got, and if I were you, I would fight tooth and nail for better. You have done your hardest work for your children, not just mentally but economicaly. Is there any way you can sue them? (I gather from TV that Americans like sueing lol)

3:43 AM  
Blogger Kylie said...

Opps, sorry, that was not from Kylie (who is my bestfriend) but from Heidi - sproke at orcon dot net dot nz :0)

3:44 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Thank you so much Mark and Kylie! I share the same thoughts, that these actions do effect my kids AND that I am their advocate. I have had a lot of great feedback from several sources and I am planning to go to the school board about this. The administrators would like me to believe that nothing so much has happened and I am over reacting. In the final analysis, I have tried for three years to NOT over-react, I think it's time for me to react!

Thank you for your advice.

PS Kylie, I'd love to live in New Zealand, I have heard your country is amazing! Actually my husband's uncle is on an expedition there right now. Some Sierra Club outback trek, I'm really not sure what... He is a wilderness guide, lucky dog. Why didn't the high school counselors tell me about 'wilderness guide' jobs?

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home